Sunday, September 22, 2013

We're Going On a Bear Hunt


This is a title covered in Before Five In a Row which both girls are doing together this year.  This happens to be a favorite around here!  Lots of pretend bear hunts took place this week.


Story Discovery Bottles
I created discovery bottles by filling water bottles with objects to portray each of the things the family had to walk through on their hunt.  I heard lots of swishy swashy and squelch squerch this week!


Sequencing Cards for the story from Sparkle Box

Real Bear Pretend Bear Sort
There were lots of great discussions as we did this together.  This was a great introduction to classification for Lil Sis. This actually wound up being one of her favorite go-to activities.


Lil Sis shaking her favorite...the mud bottle!

Big Sis Reading and Sequencing


This was a typical occurrence throughout the week.  Big Sis would read the story and Lil Sis would find the bottle and shake it to go along with the sound that Big Sis was reading.

Linking up at the following:

9 comments:

  1. We love this book, too!! I think your sensory bottles are/were a FABULOUS idea!! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristina! We're going on three weeks of having these activities out and they haven't got old yet! The LOVE this book!

      Delete
  2. Cannot tell you how much I love this idea. Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jolanthe! This was such a hit with the girls that I am brainstorming other ways to include this kind of activity with other books. I'm looking forward to using more of your printables

      Delete
  3. I love these activities. I can see how they bring the story "to life" for your girls. I love the picture of your oldest reading to the youngest while they use the activities. So cool! Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that it's a sensory activity THAT ISN'T MESSY!! I'm using something like this for sure :-) I haven't read that book before but I'm going to have to find it as my daughter loooooves bears x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, get ready, Jade! It's going to be one of her favorite books. You might consider making the investment and buying it for her. The first time we read it I had a library copy, but we soon made it our own! Have fun!!!

      Delete